In celebration of Frank Lloyd Wright’s 152nd birthday on June 8, the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation invites the community to the first-ever Discovery Day. Guests can explore Taliesin West, enjoy live entertainment and pop-up shops from local makers. This community event is sponsored by Comerica.
Guests will make their way through Wright’s winter home desert laboratory, they will stop at different stations throughout the campus to participate in a variety of activities and demonstrations from Foundation staff members, including:
- The Licensing Department teaches about a new print-on-demand program to enjoy Wright-inspired textiles and discover design options for home
- The Preservation Department presents the basics of building conservation science, as well as how technology can be used to analyze material composition and methods of degradation involving wood, finishes and masonry
- The Box Projects from collections – the traditional Box Projects were originally gifts made by apprentices and fellowship members on Wright’s birthday and at Christmas. They were presented in a communal gift box, the contents of which might include drawings, poems, music, pressed flowers and fabrics.
- A Pop-Up Shop presents the work of local artisans including Arlee Kasselman Jewelry, Jodi Bombardier Jewelry, WhenLifeGivesURocks by Teri Welsch, Loving Earth Pottery by Calvin Hiser and RK3 Handcrafted Fine Arts.
- The Education Department offers two activities: a bridge-building lab and a cyanotype photographic printing workshop
- A classic film once shown at Taliesin West during Wright’s time, The Wizard of Oz, as well as a video introduction to the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, and a 2017 BBC documentary Frank Lloyd Wright: The Man Who Built America
“We’re so excited to showcase and share all of the exciting things we’re working on at the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, and hope to build connections with the community that will last for many years to come,” says Kevin Conley, Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Vice President of Public Engagement. “Discovery Day is an opportunity for us to welcome everyone to experience Wright’s great legacy firsthand, while exploring his winter home and desert camp.”
Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation members will receive exclusive access to the Garden Room on Discovery Day. Admission for Discovery Day is free, but an advance reservation is required to guarantee entry.
June 8, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Taliesin West, 12621 N. Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd., Scottsdale
For more information, visit franklloydwright.org.