CLICK ON PHOTOS
More than 500 arts supporters, advocates, business leaders and elected officials attended the Governor’s Arts Awards on March 25. The annual event was held for the first time at the Mesa Arts Center.
The 2014 honorees were:
· Artist: Daniel Buckley, Tucson
· Individual: Anni Beach, Chandler
· Community: University of Arizona Poetry Center, Tucson
· Arts in Education – Individual: Dr. Robert Benson, Peoria
· Arts in Education – Organization: Rosie’s House: A Musical Academy for Children, Phoenix
· Business: BMO Harris Bank, Phoenix
APS was the presenting sponsor of the 2014 Governor’s Arts Awards.
John P. and Helen S. Schaefer, whose multi-faceted legacy spans arts, culture and education, received the ninth annual Shelley Award. John Schaefer is president emeritus of the University of Arizona, a conservationist and avid birdwatcher who helped organize the Tucson Audubon Society and found the Nature Conservancy in Arizona. Also a skilled photographer, he and Ansel Adams founded the Center for Creative Photography at the University of Arizona.
Helen Schaefer is the former chair of the UA College of Humanities Advisory Board and a longtime member of the Poetry Center Development Committee. The Helen P. Schaefer Building today is home to the Arizona Poetry Center.
Each honoree received specially created awards by Arizona artists.
PHOTOS BY BOB RINK