The Arizona Historical League recognized Arizona’s leaders in arts, education and architecture at its annual Historymakers Gala on Feb. 23 at the Arizona Biltmore. Almost 400 guests attended the event, which was held on the 90th anniversary of the grand opening of the Frank Lloyd Wright resort and spa.
The 2019 Historymakers were:
- Third-generation Arizonan Betsey Bayless, who has served as Arizona secretary of state, Maricopa County board supervisor, and president and CEO for Maricopa Integrated Health System.
- Retired 30-plus year Scottsdale Community College president Dr. Arthur DeCabooter, who also for 15 years chaired the citizen commission responsible for defining Scottsdale 30,000-acre preserve.
- Michael J. Fox, founding director and CEO of Western Spirit: Scottsdale’s Museum of the West. Fox has been a leader in arts and cultural institutions for almost his entire career.
- Former Arizona State Senator Alfredo Gutierrez, who was both the majority leader and minority leader, and also served as president of the Maricopa County College Governing Board.
- Nationally recognized painter Merrill Mahaffey, an icon within Arizona and the Southwest arts scene.
- Acclaimed architect Vernon Swaback, who at 17 was the youngest student ever invited by Frank Lloyd Wright into the Taliesin Fellowship. His Scottsdale-based firm is responsible for some of the most significant planning projects in Arizona’s history.
PHOTOS COURTESY ARIZONA HISTORICAL LEAGUE